Clean green asparagus quickly, but in many cases it is not necessary. We will show you what to consider and how to properly process green asparagus.
Unlike white asparagus, green asparagus is not pricked as soon as the head emerges from the ground, but grows in the sun further. That’s why you need green asparagus without black foil. It gets its green color from sunlight and more healthy vitamins and stronger flavor than white asparagus.
Since green asparagus is cheaper to grow and harvest than white asparagus, it is usually a bit cheaper. It is also less difficult to prepare. Because of the thin skin, green asparagus usually does not need to be peeled! If you buy it in season, you can also be sure that its growth has not been artificially accelerated by heaters or cling film. So there’s a lot to be said for having access to seasonal green asparagus.
Message: The use of film when growing white asparagus creates a real problem for the environment. Not only does the film pollute the environment during its production and disposal, it also destroys the natural habitat of many endangered bird species.
Clean, cut or break green asparagus?
Whether or not green asparagus needs to be cleaned depends on how it was harvested. If the lower third is purple-white and hard, be sure to peel this part and cut off the dried ends. The white rim has not yet seen sunlight and will still be very hard and brittle after cooking.
If asparagus solid green is, cut just the width of the terminal finger away. You need green and soft asparagus skin definitely do not peel. majority vitamins stuck right under the shell. If the asparagus spears are still very thick and the skin seems tough, peel only the bottom third.
You can also break the green asparagus instead of cutting it. As the inedible part cannot be broken, asparagus break off over the woody end. So you don’t need to use a peeler or a knife, and you can cook asparagus quickly and easily. But for this asparagus has a lot to do be fresh and crispy.
Green asparagus tastes best fresh from the market. If necessary, you can wrap it in a damp cloth in the refrigerator and keep it fresh for several days.
To avoid long transport routes and to protect the environment and climate, you should only buy asparagus regionally and in season. To make sure your asparagus is chemical-free, shop around organic asparagus.
Boil green asparagus
The easiest you can cook green asparagus in boiling salted water. The cooking time is significantly shorter than white asparagus and, depending on the thickness, is only about eight minutes. Then you can take it with you in the classic way hollandaise sauce or vegan hollandaise sauce serve.
To help the asparagus retain its deep green color, you can also add a little white vinegar or lemon juice to the cooking water and rinse the asparagus with ice water when it’s ready.
Or you roasted green asparagus with something vegetable oil or fat simply in a pan. Cut into thin pieces, cook for five minutes.
Of course you can Also grill the asparagus or how bake asparagus put in the oven. Greens are especially tasty asparagus soup. You can also use the woody ends that you removed earlier and cook them as stock for soup. This way you use every gram of your precious asparagus and there are no leftovers to throw away at the end.
More asparagus tips:
Prepare green asparagus with pasta
For four servings of this asparagus recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 500 g of pasta of your choice
- 500 g of green asparagus
- 1 bulb
- 1 clove of garlic
- 250 grams of tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Wild garlic oil
In about 30 minutes, you have prepared a dish with green asparagus:
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot, then add the pasta. Boil noodles until they are done.
- Clean the bottom third of the green asparagus, if necessary, removing lignified ends. Then cut the asparagus into pieces of three to four centimeters.
- Peel the onion and garlic. Cut the onion cubes, and chop a clove of garlic with a sharp knife.
- Wash the tomatoes, remove the stems and cut into cubes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan. Fry the onion in it for a few minutes. Then add the asparagus and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic to the pan for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Wash and finely chop the basil. Season the vegetables with basil, salt and pepper.
- Add the noodles to the vegetables along with the wild garlic oil.
Green asparagus recipes: mushroom and asparagus salad
For four servings of salad you need:
You should plan about 20 minutes to prepare the green asparagus and other ingredients:
- If necessary, peel the bottom third of the asparagus and remove the woody ends. Cut the asparagus into 3- to 4-inch pieces.
- Clean the mushrooms and grind them.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan. Fry the asparagus in it for five to seven minutes, then set aside.
- Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and fry the mushrooms for about three minutes.
- Wash the cocktail tomatoes and cut them in half. Add them to the mushrooms and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Mix the remaining oil with the balsamic vinegar, honey, pepper and salt to make the dressing.
- Wash the mint and finely chop it.
- Mix asparagus with mushrooms and tomatoes. Mix the vegetables and mushrooms with the dressing.
- Add mint and sesame seeds to the salad.
Prepare asparagus pizza with green asparagus
This green asparagus pizza makes enough for four. To prepare them, you need:
- 1 pizza dough (tip: Pizza dough without yeast)
- 300 grams of green asparagus
- 250 g of spinach leaves
- 1 bulb
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tbsp vegan margarine
- 150 ml of (vegetable) milk
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- chives and onions
If you’ve already made the pizza dough, the asparagus pizza will be ready in about 35 minutes. You will need five more minutes to make a yeast-free pizza crust. Choose one Yeast pizza doughthe recipe takes about half an hour longer.
- If necessary, peel the bottom third of the asparagus and cut off the woody ends. Then cut the asparagus into pieces about two centimeters in size.
- Wash the spinach and finely chop it.
- Peel the onion and cut into rings.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan. Fry the asparagus in it for 3 to 5 minutes. Then set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and fry the onion in it for a minute or two.
- Add the spinach for 3-4 minutes, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the margarine together with (plant) milk in a saucepan.
- Add the flour, stirring constantly, and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Wash the green onion and cut it into small rolls.
- Season the sauce with green onions, salt and pepper.
- Roll out the dough thinly on a floured work surface and brush with the sauce.
- Now put asparagus, spinach and onions on the pizza.
- Bake the finished pizza at a temperature of 250 degrees Celsius in the upper/lower part for 15-20 minutes.
Read more on Utopia:
** marked ** or orange highlighted Some of the supply links are affiliate links: if you buy here, you are actively supporting Utopia.de, as we receive a small portion of the sales revenue. More information.
Do you like this post?
Thank you for your vote!