- microgreens – new superfood?
- which vegetables and greens suitable for this
- tips too cultivation and care
- Ago taste small green
New trend of healthy food: microgreens. That’s what they’re all called young seedlings of fast-growing vegetable or herb seeds. They grow a little longer than the sprouts, so they are larger and already have the first leaves that can be eaten. Now many star chefs use them to enrich their dishes in terms of taste and visual appeal. Microgreen is considered new superfood This is the name of products that contain a particularly large amount of nutrients and are therefore considered extremely useful. microgreen needs not much maintenance and very deliciously. Also children can plant it and in this way get acquainted with the topics of nature and healthy nutrition in a playful way.
A study conducted by the University of Maryland (USA) examined the proportion of nutrients in microgreens compared to the corresponding mature plants. Found in micro greens four to 40 times more nutrients (vitamins, minerals, antioxidants)than in adult plants.
However: Microgreen alone is not enough for an optimal supply of nutrients. Then you have to eat a lot of it. But definitely excellent dietary supplement. Especially in winter, when it is not so easy to get fresh greens.
What’s also great about it is that it grows so fast. You can harvest many varieties in about a week. Then you have everything fresh raw food.
These plants can be sown
Mostly suitable all vegetables and herbs whose green leaves can be eaten. Especially recommended for beginners Varieties that grow quicklyas broccoli, radish, arugula, rocket, basil or mustard. Also good, for example:
- buckwheat groats
- cut salads
- couch grass
But be careful: nightshade family (as tomatoes, paprika, chili, eggplant, potatoes) are prohibitedbecause their leaves are poisonous.
You need it to get started
You don’t need special seeds. take whole ordinary seeds of vegetables or herbs. what Microgreens need soil to obtain nutrients. Thus, cotton wool as a base, like watercress seeds, is insufficient. The best fit potting soil. Take if possible organic quality, also for seeds. It’s better for you and the environment.
Here you will find a large selection of organic seeds – browse now
You need one too flower pot Any bowl or even old packaging, such as egg cartons, will do for this. It is important that the water can drain lack of waterlogging occurs Otherwise, there is a risk that your plants will get moldy. So, or your vessel permeable or has drainage holes (put a saucer under them and drain excess water). Or you put one in the bottom of the jar drainage layer expanded clay, shards or gravel.
Of course, you can also buy ready-made grow kits in stores.
And so it goes
- Fill in about 3 cm of soil in your planter Earth Well, so that it is moist, but not soggy. Then you scatter the seeds on the ground. You can spread it thickly, or you can make grooves with your finger and sow in rows. in Then carefully squeeze out the seeds.
- exist Light and dark microbes among plants This is what is written in the instructions on the seed package. For dark sprouters, put some soil over the seeds to cover them. Bright embryos remain on the ground. Some people first cover the seeds with plastic wrap.
- Some By the way, harder seeds need to be soaked overnight before sowing. You can also find information about this on the packaging.
- Set your microgreen to one warm light windowsill. Plants need enough light to turn green, but not too much direct sun. You must ventilate regularlybecause fresh air prevents mold growth.
- water your little plantation every one or two daysthe best fresh tap water from a spray bottle. The greens should not dry out, but they should not get too wet either. When the plants grow a little, you can water more.
Harvest and enjoy
You can reap if at least two first green leaves (after the cotyledons) have grown. A few more leaves are better. You cut the microgreens right above the ground with a sharp knife. Unlike the sprouts, you don’t eat the roots here.
Once harvested, you should enjoy the microgreens while they are fresh. You can do it directly eat raw. All plants have different tastes. Some, such as broccoli, have a milder taste, while others, like radishes, are more spicy. But all are very tasty.
Greens are very tasty on bread and butter. Or as hell in one salad. Some swear by microgreens burgers. You can as Seasoning for soups or other dishes give. It is not only tasty, but also looks decorative. Or you mix microgreens into yours smoothies
Gardening is not taxed. You should know that.
*Note: in the editorial office, we are always looking for useful products for our readers. The links provided in this article and marked with a basket symbol or an asterisk are so-called affiliate/promotional links. If you click or make a purchase from one of these links, we will receive a commission from the seller. This does not change the price for you. Our editorial reporting is fundamentally independent of the availability or size of the commission.