You always wonder which one Products in the refrigerator save necessary, and which ones are not? Milk, bread, bananas, ginger and garlic? Where is it all going? Time and time again, there are people who think they know what foods don’t belong in the refrigerator.
But we can tell you: they’re probably not quite right. We’ll show you what foods really belong in the fridge, even though no one will tell you.
That’s what awaits you in this article
Why should products be stored in the refrigerator?
There are minimalists who live without a refrigerator at all. You don’t have to go that far. But first you should ask yourself the question: why do you need a refrigerator at all? There are two reasons why you keep things in the fridge.
1. For cooling food
It sounds obvious, and it is. It depends on your personal preference whether you prefer to eat cool fruit from the refrigerator or prefer fruit at room temperature. The same goes for milk, bread, vegetables, etc.
2. To keep food longer
At low temperatures, bacteria cannot reproduce as quickly as at high temperatures. Bacteria multiply fastest at 20 degrees Celsius, at 4 degrees (as in the refrigerator) only very slowly. So you store everything in the fridge to make it last longer. So, if you’re sure you’ll use up your food in a short time, you don’t really need a refrigerator.
These products have no place in the refrigerator
According to many experts, such products should not be stored in the refrigerator. We will show you the reasons here.
- onion and garlic emit odors to other products in the refrigerator. You should also not store hummus sauce containing garlic next to heavy cream.
However, you can store them in the refrigerator if you seal the onions and garlic in an airtight container. Then they cannot emit any odors.
- bananas and avocados usually bought when they are still unripe and need a few more days to really ripen. The cold in the refrigerator slows down this process. Also, after some time, brown spots appear on bananas and avocados.
By the way, we have a tip for you, how to ripen bananas faster.
- butter also should not be refrigerated as it absorbs odors. Butter is almost 40% fat, so scents can spread well on it and feel very comfortable.
- tomatoes and cucumbers very watery A cucumber is 97% water, and a tomato is 95% water. Products containing a lot of water soften much faster in the refrigerator, and therefore spoil faster.
- vanilla pods should not be stored too cold. Fresh vanilla pods last a very long time if stored in an airtight jar or plastic container. Store them in the dark and at room temperature (about 15-20 degrees Celsius. They will become soft and plastic faster in the refrigerator.
- what potato Most people already know that it cannot be stored in the refrigerator. This is because starch turns into sugar in the coolness of the refrigerator. This makes the potato inedible.
Do not heat potatoes in the microwave. Why.
- Ketchup no place in the fridge. It sounds absurd at first, but that’s how it is. Although ketchup also contains tomatoes, it also contains sugar and some preservatives that make it last longer without refrigeration. After all, it is not in the refrigerated section of the supermarket.
These products belong in the refrigerator
- salad can last up to three times longer than outside the fridge, just at the right temperature. Iceberg lettuce feels especially good at a temperature of exactly 0° Celsius and relatively high humidity. Instead of a few days, it can extend the shelf life for more than a week.
- Many people do not advise either honey store in the refrigerator. This is because honey becomes very hard when stored in cool conditions. Although this is not necessarily a bad thing, as some people like the taste of cold hard honey. Everyone should try it for themselves.
- ginger this is a miracle potato. However, storage is always a question. Since ginger is a root vegetable, many people store it outside the refrigerator like potatoes. But this is wrong. Ginger root dries out very quickly outside the refrigerator. It is best to pack them tightly and then put them in a dark, cool place. in the fridge.
We have summarized the side effects of ginger for you.
Do you know that you must be doing something wrong in the kitchen? We have found the best microwaves for you.