in Holy week in full swing, Christians look forward to next weekend. Easter is the holiest holiday of the Christian Church. But unbelievers also celebrate Easter as a family holiday.
Clean Thursday is the official beginning of the Easter holidays. The holidays around Easter are the most important in Christianity – but what actually happened on Maundy Thursday according to the Bible? And is this day really a public holiday? Answers to all questions about this festival are here.
Date and destination: is Maundy Thursday in 2022 a public holiday?
Opening hours on Maundy Thursday: are the shops open?
Because Maundy Thursday there is no holiday Yes, shops are also open. The day after tomorrow is a holiday Easter Sunday and easter monday. Therefore, for many, this is an opportunity to go shopping before the long weekend. in hours of work as usual in Germany on Maundy Thursday. Of course, local or regional deviations are possible.
But Maundy Thursday is not the last shopping opportunity before Easter. Near great saturday – Easter Saturday is often incorrectly called – shops are also open. More about it here:
Maundy Thursday 2022: will the fast come on April 14?
who else letter or a parcel you can also be sure to expect from the mail: the mail will arrive on Maundy Thursday. The day is not a holiday. However, the postal mail should not be expected on Good Friday – but again on Holy Saturday.
Meaning: What happened on Maundy Thursday and why do we celebrate it?
Easter is the highest holiday in the church year and with Clean Thursday the three days of passion, death and resurrection of Jesus begin. Christians around the world honor the memory of Jesus and celebrate the victory of life over death. Maundy Thursday will be the last Last Supper of Jesus remind. Jesus took this with his twelve disciples earlier Judas Iscariot betrayed him That evening he shared bread and wine with them and washed their feet. It was his last free evening. At night, he was detained by soldiers. One of the most famous paintings in the world is painted by Leonardo da Vinci and shows the Last Supper:
That is why this day is called Clean Thursday
It is not known how Maundy Thursday got its name. There is for this several theories:
- One of them goes back to the Latin word “verid” return. In translation, it means “green”. That’s what it was called in the Middle Ages repentantwho, after Great Lent and Penitential decree, were re-admitted to the church on the Thursday before Good Friday. Green because the color in the church context means fresh, sinless and renewed.
- It is also possible that the name of Middle High German Word “smile” comes from It is something like crying. There was every reason for this on the night when Judas betrayed Jesus. Hence the theory that there are many on this day cried pond.
- A completely different approach revolves around this food. On Maundy Thursday, the custom is green vegetables and herbs eat. Hence Maundy Thursday.
No dancing on Easter
Even if Maundy Thursday is not a public holiday, in some federal states it takes place during normal time ban on dancing. For night owls, this means: the following applies in Baden-Württemberg on Maundy Thursday from 6 p.m ban on dancing and continues until Easter Saturday at 8:00 p.m. In Bavaria, the ban on dancing begins at 2 a.m. on Maundy Thursday and lasts until midnight on Easter Saturday.
Food and customs – Can you eat meat on Maundy Thursday?
Catholic and Protestant masses in churches are held very solemnly. In some Catholic communities, this is part of it Foot washing ritual for service One of the most famous customs on Maundy Thursday is green food prepare. IN Holy week traditionally observe strict fasting rules. At this time it is usual meat deny. The following dishes are most often served:
- spinach with boiled or fried eggs.
- They love green vegetables cabbage or salad.
- Green saucea typical Hessian sauce containing at least seven herbs.
Peasant rules around Maundy Thursday
Around Easter days and Maundy Thursday are associated with several farming and weather rules:
- Rain on Thursday and Good Friday, rarely a blessing for the harvest.
- If Maundy Thursday is white, the summer will certainly be hot.